Over the course of the years, we lose track of how much junk we end collecting at home, most of which sits there collecting dust. We may have used it at first, but have since forgotten about them and are not being used. You could get rid of this junk, make some money, while freeing up much needed space. You are getting best of both worlds: cash and valuable space!
To start, look at all places in your home that you don’t typically go or see on a daily basis. This could be the cold room, the basement, hidden drawers, garage storage, book shelves etc. Take note of what items that you haven’t touched in a while, no longer need, and are valuable and in good shape to sell . Once you identify these items, be sure to take good pictures of them and decide on a price. Ideally, unless it is a new item that has never been used, you want to list it for 40-50% off the original price, otherwise you won’t get many interested buyers. The idea is to make some cash, while freeing up some space, and not necessarily to make a big profit off of it.
Here are some items that you could list:
- Books: despite a lot of people moving to e-readers and audiobooks, physical books are still very popular and you can get good money for them on Amazon marketplace or on other online services like Kijiji, Facebook Marketplace, or even at a garage sale.
- Clothing: just like books, some people would rather buy used clothing and save a lot in the process, assuming they are in good shape and still like new.
- Car Parts: if you have good car parts, with not much wear and tear, you can make good money from them. This could be used tires, new spark plugs, mats, or even interior parts (mufflers, compressors, alternator etc)
- Toys: the kids have grown and not only do they not care about toys anymore, the iPad and gaming consoles is all they care about now. So why not sell them at a garage sale or list them on FB Marketplace or Kijiji. You will be amazed how quickly some toys sell, even if they are used (but in good shape)
- Collectables : while this category is more sentimental, there may still be items that you no longer care about and would rather get some money for. This could be old coins, stamps, vinyl records, antiques, sports memorabilia, comic books etc. Depending on what you have, their condition and age, you could make some serious buck from these. But important to do your research so you don’t sell an item that is highly valuable and in big demand for a lower price. And while you can still use FB Marketplace and other online services mentioned above, it is better to go with a better place that specializes in collectables such as Ebay and Bonanza.com.
In conclusion, decluttering your home and selling unwanted stuff can be a win-win situation. Not only will you make some extra cash, but you will also create valuable space and eliminate the accumulation of unused junk. By assessing the lesser-explored areas of your home and identifying items in good condition that hold value, you can begin the process of listing them for sale. From books and clothing to car parts, toys, and collectibles, there is a market for a wide range of items. Utilizing online platforms like Amazon, Kijiji, Facebook Marketplace, and specialized sites like eBay and Bonanza.com can help you connect with interested buyers and maximize your potential earnings. So, take the opportunity to transform your clutter into cash, declutter your space, and enjoy the benefits of a more organized and streamlined home.